Advert Hotlines:+234-8023882330, 08165371627

Saturday 19 October 2013

THE 6TH FLOOR: FANNING THE FLAME (3)

   By Olumide T. Agunbiade

MRS. Labi was inconsolable as she continued to cry. Hot tears continued to flow down her cheeks and her beautiful figure was shaking vigorously as she wept. As she continued to weep, deep in thought, I   remembered an incident that happened few months back at the hospital where I took my family for medical check-up.
On that memorable day, the scenario was quite different between other couples. As I sat at the reception on that day, I saw a man walking up and down the hospital corridor, deeply worried. He had brought in his heavily pregnant wife, just a few minutes before. She was due to deliver and had been wheeled into the labour room. He was quite anxious and disturbed as he paced up and down the hospital corridor.
               “Oga, come and sit down,” one of the nurses had said rudely, “you are disturbing others with the way you are walking about. Are you not a man? People bring their wives here to deliver everyday and they don’t disturb us like you are doing now.” She concluded her verbal outpour with a contemptuous hiss.
 He was so lost in thought that he didn’t even hear. Even if he had heard her, he would have ignored her. There were more serious issues bothering him than the verbiage of an incompetent and rude nurse. If he could have had his way, he would not have allowed his wife to keep this pregnancy.
  The woman was as stubborn as a goat. They already had five children. Three boys and two girls. The family lived in a single room apartment in a “face-to-face” 30 rooms building. He had been unemployed for the past two years, after he was retrenched in the factory where he worked as a foreman. How did I get to know all these? Well, he narrated everything to me when he finally sat beside me. He was a bit relaxed when he did that.
Times were hard! He had to survive, keep body and soul together, by working as a labourer on different building sites. His wife augmented the family income by selling fruits and pure water in sachets. The last thing he wanted was another child. He even advised his wife to go for an abortion at the early stages of the pregnancy but the stubborn woman had refused.
 She had kept the pregnancy. As he paced up and down the corridor of the hospital, that morning, he wasn’t worried about his wife’s condition. He wasn’t anxious whether the baby, on the way, would be a boy or girl. He was worried about other things. Where would he get the money to pay the hospital bill? As it was, he already had a lot of debts hanging on his neck. He owed his landlady one year rent and the shylock was already threatening him with ejection. There were so many other debts to be paid, and now this!
Few hours later, one of the nurses came out of the labour room, smiling like someone who had just won a jackpot.
                    “Congratulations! Your wife has just been delivered of a set of twins. Two handsome bouncing baby boys.”
Everyone began to congratulate him. He couldn’t believe what he had just heard. Two what? The bottom simply dropped out of his world. No way! This was unbelievable. What was he going to do with two additional children? Sell them? He ignored several outstretched hands and began to walk out of the hospital like someone in a trance.
He did not bother to see his wife. He didn’t want to have anything to do with the new-born babies. As he walked out of the hospital like a ghost, he made up his mind on what to do. He would run away. That was simply the only way out for him. And that was what he did.
My thought came back Mrs. Labi who was still crying. If God could give her a child, she would be the happiest woman on heart. She would praise him to the high heavens. She would celebrate the birth of that child with so much pomp and pageantry. And most importantly, She would pamper that child with all the good things of life. She was rich in her own right. Her husband was comfortable too. The only thing they lacked and desired with throbbing passion was a child!
                 “This is a very sensitive issue,’’ said Mr. Raymond as he took off his cap, wiped his forehead with his handkerchief and then put on his cap again.
                Suddenly she stopped crying. Opened her handbag, took a pink handkerchief, closed the bag and wiped her teary face. She looked straight into my eyes and said: “Did he tell you what I did to him?”
                  I nodded.
                   “Did he tell you why?”
                    I shook my head.
                    “Would you like to know why?
                    “Yes.”       
 They had set the flame. I had been set up to fan it. For me, life is different strokes for different folks. When some are laughing, others are crying. When some are giving birth, others are dying. When some are happy, others are sad. When some are making remarkable successes of their lives, others are wallowing in failure. Indeed, when some are getting married, others are divorcing. That is what life is all about. I would give anything to know why she went to humiliate her husband in the middle of a well attended Sunday service!
 She looked straight into my eyes, and then at Mr. Raymond, opened her handbag and brought out her makeup kit.
              “I’m sorry for tearing your letter. I hope you will forgive me,” she began as she was powdering her beautiful face.
              “No problem. I understand,” I replied.
               “When I was told he was cheating on me, I didn’t believe it,” she continued, “until I traced him and saw it with my own eyes. He was trying to impregnate one rich lady in the church. Yet, he was deceiving me that our miracle was on the way!”
I burst into laughter due to her last statement. I couldn’t hold back myself. I was relieved when Mr. Raymond joined me and then she joined us. We roared with laughter till tears came out of our eyes.
                 “Am not proud of what I did, but I felt it was my duty to let the congregation know that he was deceiving them and the fear of God was no longer in him,” she continued as she put the makeup kit in her bag and closed the bag.
                 “Was he really a true pastor?” Mr. Raymond asked as he took off his cap, wiped his forehead and then put on his cap again.
                “Sincerely, he used to be. He was patient and shielded me from his impatient family.”
                 “He must have succumbed to pressure,” I said.
                   She nodded in agreement.
  There was silence afterwards. It was obvious that her husband wanted to use me to ‘fan the flame.’ He wanted me to eject his wife from their home forcefully by claiming in his letter that he had packed out and that she had refused to join him. It turned out that he had disappeared from their home since the day of the incident and moved in with his lover.
               “Can you renew your rent?” I asked.
                “I can afford it if that is what you mean. But I’ve decided to leave anyway. I came here to challenge you but I’ve changed my mind. I’ll move out next week,” she replied showing her beautiful set of sparkling white teeth as she smiled.
                  “You can take your take your time.”
                  “I’ll be gone by next week. Thank You for everything Mr. Olumide,” she said as she stood up from her chair.
                  “You are always welcome,” I replied.

She also thanked Mr. Raymond and then walked out of my office. I advised Mr. Raymond to move to Ikorodu and he left after we agreed to check some properties in Ikorodu the next day. I watched him as he left my office, slowly taking off his cap, wiping his forehead, and then putting on his cap again on his way out.

No comments:

Post a Comment